25 March 2017

Lolita Tag Update



Kat's recent lolita tag video inspired me to do the same. You can watch her video here. I don't remember if I ever did this specific tag, since there are many different lolita-specific tags, but I figured it was time to do an update regardless!

You can watch my video down below, but I've also answered all the questions here in case you prefer to read/don't like my voice. I won't judge.




Original Questions:


1. Since when do you wear Lolita?

My first coordinate (which was awful and I never want to see it again) was when I was 11 years old. I didn't seriously start wearing it until I was 15 or 16 because I could save up my allowance and then get a job to actually pay for lolita. 

2. How did you first come across Lolita?

I don't remember how I first heard of lolita, but I do know it was through my then step-sister. It was during the days of DeviantArt and Tokyo Pop, so it was probably through that somehow.

I was re-introduced to it around 2010 through Tumblr and a few friends who wore it.

3. What did inspire you to wear Lolita?

What really inspired me to wear lolita was how ladylike and feminine it was. I loved scouring lifestyle blogs and the princess handbook. I loved movies like The Little Princess and Secret Garden (still high favorites of mine). I loved the English versions of the Gothic & Lolita Bible that were published when I was starting out. 

4. How did you start? What was your first item?

My first item was a handmade skirt made from vintage white and green border fabric. A lot of my first pieces were from Anna House. My first brand item was a black teddy bear pochette from Innocent World, and I still use that purse.

5. When did you go to your first meet-up?

Aside from the one I went to when I was 11, my first real meet up was a Halloween tea party in San Francisco. I wore a red and blue tartan jumperskirt that my mom made. It is a "replica" of a really old Innocent World dress that I ironically found for sale a few months later.

6. What is your favourite style and why?

My favorite style is sweet-classic. I've always loved pastels and pinks, but my style has evolved from less bright, sweet things to more classic cuts and designs. I still buy traditionally sweet main-pieces, but then I'll tone them down with classic accessories. And vice-versa.

7. Who is your favourite brand and why?

My favorite brand is Innocent World. Baby, the Stars Shine Bright is probably a close second. I love how comfortable and wearable Innocent World is and how I can easily dress up or dress down any piece of theirs. I've worn a few of my jumperskirts from them with plain cardigans for family gatherings before, and they fit right in. 

I also really love how it fits. Some people complain because of how it is designed for larger busts, but I really appreciate that!

8. What is your favourite dress and why?

I don't have a favorite dress, but I feel obligated to talk about the two dream dresses I actually own. 

One is BTSSB's Cinderella Jewelry onepiece in ivory. I've loved it for years, but the cut and color never showed up anywhere. Finally some kind lady messaged me after seeing my WTB on Facebook where a second-hand shop was selling it. A few weeks later she also miraculously found a Lacemarket seller that had the matching headbow. I've only worn this dress once so far because it is pretty dressy, but I love it a lot.

The second one is AatP's Elizabeth Bride of Death. I have the JSK II in ivory (which is more of a frustrating grey-ige) and the socks in black. I am so incredibly happy that they rereleased this print in the cut and color I originally wanted! My shopping service was able to order me the JSK I in black and the socks in ivory. Now I have two matching sets. This is the first time I've bought the same print in different colors...

9. What do you friends and family think about it?

I feel very fortunate that my friends and family are all okay with Lolita. They mostly think it's pretty, modest, and interesting. My dad has even bought me a BTSSB dress for my junior prom. I've had mixed feelings about it from significant others, but currently everything is dandy. 

Considering most of my friends I've met through lolita, they're all obviously just as in love with the fashion as I am!


10. Think of something you wouldn't have experienced, if you weren't a Lolita?

For sure, it would be the friendships I've made and the modeling I've done. They kind of go hand-in-hand. A lot of "normal" modeling is hard to get into, and my body/face shape is not the kind conducive to Western modeling standards. Being in shows and shoots is really fun, and helps my self-confidence. I've also met some really great friends through modeling. I've been in a show with my best friend three times, and it was fun every time. 

In general, I don't make friends easily. Lolita has really helped in that regard - giving an instant common hobby to break the ice with. 

11. Who is your inspiration?

I already made a post about lolitas who inspire me - it was a Lolita Blog Carnival theme. To make a long story short, I really draw most of my inspiration from the friends around me, whether they're the ones I see on a regular basis or just admire online. 

12. Something beginners should think about:

I think beginners should really be aware of the amount of gossip there really is. Knowing yourself and your ability to handle criticism is something you should really think about before posting in online lolita communities. I see a lot of newbies who don't handle con-crit well on outfits they post to Closet of Frills. People will always have something to say, whether it's good or bad.

13. What are your future plans with Lolita?

I don't have any particular plans in regards to the fashion itself, except maybe to continue re-framing my wardrobe to be more cohesive and in tune with my current style. I've really been into pure white with pastels lately, so those are the pieces I want to curate.

I also want to continue blogging regularly - it's really fun and makes me feel productive. It really is a creative outlet that I love doing. I also want to get back into making Youtube videos. I feel like I'm going to be making more vlog style videos about my life in lolita and fashion. Of course, I'll still make event vlogs and unboxings and makeup videos, but I think my days of coming up with unique tutorials and stuff like that is over.





Thank you for reading my blog, it really means a lot. 

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe. 


Follow me on Facebook and Instagram for more!

1 comment:

  1. The little dance when you mentioned you got two of your dream dresses was too cute, haha! Also congrats on getting the cut/color you wanted of Empress Elisabeth!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT FORM MESSAGE IS HERE